8 club players named to make Aussie 7s debut at Oceania tournament
Eight uncapped players have been named to potentially make their Australian Sevens debut at this weekend’s Oceania Sevens tournament.
On the back of three straight tournament victories, Australian coach Andy Friend has opted to give an opportunity to some of the younger players in the squad, to ensure more game time for all players heading into the start of the HSBC Sevens World Series in Dubai on December 2.
“With eight guys to get their first cap for Australia, it gives our squad another opportunity to demonstrate the inroads we have been making across our entire squad following on from our success at the Central Coast Sevens,” Friend said.
“It is a massive year for our game and these guys know that we are still looking to secure some tier one contracts to enhance our squad.”
Assistant coach Jarred Hodges will coach the team in Fiji.
“There is some really exciting talent in this group and I’m looking forward to seeing what they do on the park this weekend, in what will be a very challenging competition,” he said.
“Tonga and the Solomon Islands will offer very different styles of Rugby and across the other pools we know that Fiji at home will be very tough as well as New Zealand.”
Australia has been placed in Pool C with Tonga and the Solomon Islands.
Australian Sevens squad to play Oceania Sevens
1. Jeral Skelton*, Brothers
2. Henry Clunies-Ross*, Sydney University
3. Sam Croke, 1 cap, Randwick
4. Brandon Quinn, 4 caps, Gordon
5. Matthew Hood*, Sydney University
6. Matthew McTaggart*, (C), Eastern Suburbs
7. Dylan Pietsch, 5 caps, Randwick
8.Thomas Connor, 1 cap, Warringah
9. Brodie Leber*, Wests (Canberra)
10. Daniel Martine*, Warringah
11. Nicholas Price*, Southern Districts
12. Lachlan Miller*, Southern Cross University (Coffs Harbour)